Thursday, July 17, 2008

Back to business

Well, my romantic relationship with Sharmeen came to an abrupt end around Valentine's day this year, and this resulted in a big change of plans. Instead of going up to Haida Gwaii, I've instead been living like a gypsy here in Vancouver. So, I've been staying with my friend Daryl, and then a brief house-sitting gig at Yemaya's place, and finally a stint with my friend Chris. I am very grateful to both Daryl and Chris for supporting me through this challenging transition. The good news is that I've been making lots of friends here in Vancouver, and I've actually had a good summer, exploring Vancouver, as well as the Burning Man and Tribal Harmonix communities here in town. The bad news is that I haven't made a single edit on the 40 hours of footage I watched while I was back in K-dub. Hopefully the delay will give me some much needed perspective on the whole project.

I'm moving to Commercial Drive in Vancouver today. The Drive is a hotbed of art, activism, and community, and so it's a natural place for me to call home. The Drive has been calling me for a while, and I'm looking forward to living with my roommates Jen and Janine, and hopefully getting some much needed traction on the Lawrence Project as well.

I'm also flying back to Ontario on Monday, and then making a trip with Mamma to Germany for the IACCP meeting. That might also give me some added impetus to bring closure to the Lawrence Project. Really, I just want to make a 20 minute movie that captures the essence of what the project is all about...

Meanwhile, in other updates, it looks like Gale Street will not be renamed Lawrence Avenue after all. Instead, it sounds like the street will have an African name, which is not too surprising given the political realities on the ground in Durban...

No comments: