Thursday, March 7, 2024

Long-awaited update







My sisters and I recently gathered in Waterloo for my mum's 23rd "real birthday" - she was born on a leap day and so we only celebrate her "real" birthday every 4 years, so she is actually 92. We gathered with friends and family at her retirement centre, Clair Hills. We did some video calls with family back in South Africa, including my cousin Christine in South Africa, my cousin Rosemary in the UK, and also a call with Auntie Joan and Ashok, Uncle Rajan and cousin Narissa, and Auntie Carole, all in South Africa. I made a point of bringing my wife Shannon and 2 boys: Journey (14) and Phoenix (10). Mum is getting weaker and more frail, and this does put some added urgency on finding ways to move the family history project, i.e., the Lawrence Project, forward. 

My sister Michele has taken an interest in the Lawrence Project, and in particular, she is interested in developing a work of fiction, or fictionalized history, set in the times of Vincent Lawrence. Similarly, I've received requests from my Uncle Rajan Naidoo in Australia, and my cousin Hugh Lawrence in New Zealand, for information pertaining to the family history. And, my cousins Rosemary Joseph in the UK and Harold Joseph in Durban have been long time collaborators on the family history. My hope is that together we'll find ways to share the stories of South African Indians and their contributions to South Africa and the world!

No comments: