Wednesday, October 24, 2007

One step forward, two steps back...

I've been up in Hazelton BC for the past three weeks, trying to get a start on editing the Lawrence Project. The first problem I ran into: I couldn't upload the HDV footage, which I shot in 24p mode - that's 24 frames-per-second, instead of the regular 30 frames-per-second of regular video. The 24p is meant to give the footage a more film-like look. I made the decision to shoot it this way back in May, once I decided on the HV20 prosumer camera. The down-side is that I can't even upload any of the HD 24p footage to a hard-drive with my old copy of Final Cut Pro 4.5. I've ordered the latest version of Final Cut Studio 2, which hopefully will arrive any day now down in Vancouver. Of course, I still need to learn how to edit using that software, but one step at a time.

I've also started to watch the 37 hours of footage that I've shot. I'm only 7 hours in, and I find it all quite painful to watch! There is some good material mixed in with a lot of sub-optimal footage, with either poor sound or poor light. As I watch, I remember back to how frustrated I was with some of our shoots. I have been keeping a rough log of the footage, although that's a far cry from the transcript that I'd ideally have.

On top of all that, Mum is working on a book proposal for the Lawrence Project, and so she wants me to send her an overview of answers to the questions that I posed in the interviews. She also wants some kind of short proposal or treatment about the film project. I've started to think that I might be able to include some short and simple animations in the project, to help at least bring some of the stories to life.

I was scouring the web for advice on how to proceed. I came across this site about a first time filmmaker's making of the documentary "My Hippies." It all feels a bit overwhelming. I've got a lot more raw footage, and, I'm guessing less drama than he had. I am worried that the movie will come across as too academic, with too many talking heads, and not enough conflict or drama. Anyway, there's nothing to do but try and push the project forward as best I can.

I'd like to get a rough draft done for my Mum's birthday, on February 29th. At times, that seems doable, and at other times, it seems overly ambitious. I also think I would do well to keep the movie short: down to 25 minutes, with perhaps a longer version of the project at 60 minutes.

No comments: