Thursday, January 17, 2008

More 24p woes...

Well, at the moment, I am really regretting shooting my footage in the 24p HDV mode on my HV20. I had originally chosen to shoot in the 24p mode, because I wanted to get the most "film like" look I could for the project. However, I've since discovered that this makes for a really nasty work flow, such that I have to capture the footage in Final Cut Pro 6, and then send it to Compressor to have it de-interlaced, etc., as per this apple workflow. Unfortunately, Compressor seems to crash when I give it too many files to process, and the processing is very slow, and the processed files take up a lot of hard disk space. I wish now that I had just shot the footage in either regular HD, or even just SD. Life would be a lot easier...

Anyway, there's nothing to do now but figure a work-around. I've been on the Canon HV20 Users Forum looking for solutions. But so far, the news isn't very good. I think my best option may be to log the tape, and then only capture the footage I need, and then send those short clips to compressor. This puts a bunch of the work of deciding what footage to use at the front of the work flow, which isn't my first choice, and, I don't seem to have any other option...

The good news: Dad has been sitting with me while I watch the footage. I find it a lot easier to watch the raw footage with him.

No comments: