Thursday, May 24, 2007

Phoenix Rising

gandhi statueWell, back in October, I made a cardboard Phoenix Egg for the WRJ Halloween parade, that my friends dutifully burned on my behalf. So, it's interesting for me to have spent the day at Gandhi's Phoenix Settlement here in South Africa. This settlement too, was burned to the ground, during the apartheid government inspired race riots of 1985, and is in the midst of its own rebirth...

The family stories tell us that Vincent and Josephine Lawrence came here to Phoenix Settlement back when it was first getting started. Here, people of different faiths and cultures prayed together outside, and worked together in community. Gandhi's house was called Sarvodaya, which means "welfare for all." Apparently, my grandmother Naidoo remembered being bounced on Kellenbach's knee when she was a little girl.

children 2The visit to Phoenix was really special. We had talked about going there when we were back in Canada, and I am glad that we made it. I took a bunch of photos, which you can see here. Our tour guide was a Mr. Bongani, who was very patient with all our filming, and vain attempts to find the foundation stone with Vincent Lawrence's name on it. We also got to meet Thobeka, a teacher at the school that is now at the settlement. While I was filming, the kids got out of school, and they were all fascinated by my video camera. I think this might have been my favorite part. At one point, Harold suggested that the kids sing a song. The kids were understandably reluctant to do so. So, I went and joined them on camera, and we sang the only song I figured we'd both know: Happy Birthday. Of course, I am celebrating my birthday at the end of the month, and so, it was fun to celebrate in this way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting account of your visit to Phoenix. Fatima Meer ran a school for young black men and women in the building where the Indian Opinion newspaper used to be published. The name of the school was Tembalihle. In the 80's when my daughter Amanda was born (1981) Fatima Meer employed me to teach typewriting. Other subjects taught were English and Accounting. These students were registered for National Secretarial Examinations and did very well.
By the way i think Ila Gandhi's name is spelt "Ela"