Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tuesday Pics

flower off a tree at UKZN campusI've finally uploaded some pictures onto my Flickr from here. I have to pay for my bandwidth with the cellular modem we're using, so it looks like I'll only be uploading a dribble, instead of the usual torrent of pics. Somehow I haven't managed to get a picture of Auntie Joan, and I will endeavor to rectify that as soon as possible!

Yesterday we went out in the morning with Auntie Saroj, Uncle Raymond, and my cousin Thanusha. Auntie Saroj has been a huge help, driving us all over the place without complaint. We needed to cash some traveler's checks, which took a long time. I find traveler's checks more of a hassle than a help these days, and usually prefer to go with my ATM card. Anyway, I did manage to get some traditional South African bunny chow at the end of the day, which consists of curry in a bread bowl, so I was happy about that. Later, it was back to the cottage, with my mother's second cousin (yes - that's what it's like being in an extended family!), Ian Lazarus, coming by to drop off a trunk of memorabilia from my Grand Auntie May.

This morning I woke up feeling a bit blue. Perhaps the isolation of being stuck in the cottage is getting to me. With the security situation being the way it is, I sometimes feel like I am under house arrest. I imagine a lot of people feel that way. Perhaps things are not as bad as people say, but it still makes sense to be cautious... I've also been coordinating with people back home on the Haidawood project, and it's due today, so hopefully that will all get sent off okay. It's out of my hands, so what will be will be.

My mum's cousin Harold came by today, and took us out to Gateway. No, it's not the computer company: apparently it is the largest shopping mall in the Southern Hemisphere. The place was huge and very well appointed, and very first world. I felt like I could have been in Texas or Arizona. This was quite a contrast from the central business district of Durban, which is now looking much more African and third world, although not really bad at all.

I did my first taping of an "interview" today for the Lawrence Project. Really, it was just mom and Harold talking. I used the wide angle lens, 'cause they were sitting so far apart. I'll have to upload the footage and take a look. There was a lot of good information exchanged, and it gave me some hope for this project. If I can just get 6-10 interviews, and shoot some B-roll footage at the various historical locations we've identified, and if we can do all this without getting into trouble, well, then we should be in good shape for a "standard" type of documentary.

No comments: