Friday, May 25, 2007

Two weeks down: two to go

Well, we've finished up another week here in Durban, which leaves us just under two weeks to go... After a slow start, with no land line, and a multitude of small obstacles, we've now actually made some good progress: so far I've shot 15 hours of footage, and I've expect to shoot another 15 hours, all to make a 30 minute documentary!

Harold looks onThis morning, Harold and I went to the West St. Cemetery, to document the Lawrence grave. We were both shocked to see the Lawrence gravestone knocked over, and lying on the ground! To make matters worse, Harold's parents' gravestone (i.e., the Joseph gravestone) was also on the ground... I can only imagine how he felt. Harold made a call, and I am confident that this will be sorted out before we leave. I'm glad Mamma wasn't there with us: she would have had a conniption to see the Lawrence gravestone all tossed over on its side. I mean, Mum had her box of Lawrence documents put in the bank vault before we left Canada!

into the casbahAfterwards, we went to the Emanuel Cathedral, where Vincent Lawrence went every day for mass at 6 o'clock in the morning, having said his prayers at 3 o'clock in the morning... I find it hard to imagine this level of commitment to Catholicism, and clearly, his faith ran deep. After, we walked across the street to the Madressa Arcade, where Lawrence had an office for many years. I enjoyed being in the bazaar, and I was also glad to have Harold there, watching my back as I shot all sorts of footage with my video camera. I really enjoy spending time with Harold: he's full of colorful commentary and good stories, and I felt confident that he'd be able to take care of any trouble.

Dr. Brain's bookAfterwards, Mum, Harold, and I went out to Kloof to visit Dr. Joy Brain, who has written a book on Catholic Indians in Natal. It was interesting to get out to a white area, and to cross the color line, as it were. We had a lively discussion that ranged from Catholicism, the nature of faith and conversion, to life in the new South Africa.

2 comments:

Sharmeen said...

I think, in your collection, there was a super powerful photo because it contained a most empowering message: the things that will destroy humanity according to Gandhi=
1. politics without principles
2. knowledge without character
3. business without morality
4. science without humanity
5. worship without sacrifice
6. pleasure without conscience/consciousness

Ken Raj Leslie said...

Good call Sharmeen! Thanks for noticing!