Sunday, June 3, 2007

Birthday Weekend

all naidoos and familyWell, we've definitely celebrated my birthday in style. In addition to the party on my power day, my Auntie Carol organized a big birthday bash for me at my cousin Josie's place. We had a lovely time, with my Uncles Raymond and Cyril in attendance, along with Aunties Joan, Carol, and of course Mum, in addition to all the other aunties and uncles and cousins, etc. We even managed to get in a Skype with Christina, Vijay, and baby Jayanti in NYC. You can see all the pics here. I am pleased that I managed to get everyone to line up like this!

Yesterday, Mum and I did an interview with Fatima Meer. She's not in the best health these days, but she has been a boon to the community. She has written numerous books, including:

josie, josie, and fatima * Portrait of Indian South Africans
* Apprenticeship of a Mahatma
* Race and Suicide in South Africa
* Documents of Indentured Labour,
* The South African Gandhi: The Speeches and Writings of M.K. Gandhi
* Resistance in the Townships
* Apartheid our Picture
* Passive Resistance.
* She also authored Higher than Hope, the first authorized biography of Nelson Mandela, which was translated into 13 languages.

As Mamma is fond of saying, "Fatima Meer deserves a medal!"

After, Hester came by and picked us up and we had a lovely meal and discussion with her and Harold. Harold gave us a wood carving that Father Leo Gabriel had done for his Uncle Vincent Lawrence. That was really sweet of him. We talked about all sorts of stories and memories, and I got to hear more about Justin, my second cousin who died under mysterious circumstances in Arizona. I identify with him, because he sounded like a seeker. I'll need to visit Rosemary some time in the UK to learn more.

No comments: