Saturday, June 2, 2007

Social Entrepreneurship

I've been in touch with Devi Rajab, after interviewing her for the Lawrence Project. She's decided to write an article in tomorrow's paper about applying Satyagraha to the problem of violent crime here in South Africa. Success will require a sustained effort, and innovative approaches to the use of Satyagraha in this context. I also think it will be important to start small, and build on small successes, while also adhering to Gandhian principles of self-reliance. One way to do this is via Social entrepreneurship. I've just been looking at the Canadian Center for Social Entrepreneurship in Alberta, as well as the Enterprising Non-Profits guide, for ideas on how to build sustainable businesses that also transform society for the better.

How can we support the good in violent criminals and help them transform into Satyagrahis? Is this even possible? This transformation will require an attitude of compassion, and a willingness to see and support the good in others. When I was in Canada, I heard about a socially proactive business that was explicitly started to provide jobs for ex-convicts who were returning to society. Even in Canada, no one wants to hire a criminal. So, the group started a construction company with experienced formen and managers, and hired the ex-cons as labor. The ex-convicts got a job, and skills training, while also working to create houses for people in the larger economy. As I think about what I want to do next, I think I really want to find a way to marry the innovation and viability of entrepreneurship with the good works of social and environmental activism. It seems to be, this is really what the world needs right now.

1 comment:

Bob @ Barkz said...

Check out www.unitus.com for some ideas.