Monday, June 4, 2007

Monday Monday Monday

avocado pit headsPhew... what a day... I started today carving avocado pits into heads. I was introduced to this practice by my Haida friend Gwaai. He's been carving avocado pits for years, and we used them to make the action figures for the Haida Raid movie. These heads look kind of "african," which I think makes sense, given that I'm on the continent. I was reasonably pleased with my first attempt at this.

I also was pleased to see the article that Devi Rajab wrote in today's Mercury, about some of the ideas that I've discussed in this blog, about non-violent approaches to South Africa's violent crime problems, etc.. I was delighted to read the article, and I felt Devi did a good job communicating some of the key ideas in a concise manner. I will be interested to see what type of reaction she gets. It also makes me think that it'd be interested in writing a grant to develop a Satyagraha-based approach to this problem, possibly with Canadian funding. I'll give it some thought, and then contact Ila Gandhi at Satyagraha.org.za.

low tide in durbanWe had lunch at the revolving restaurant, which gave us ample wonderful views. I went up onto the roof, which was super windy, and snapped a bunch of pics and shot some video.

Later, we visited Uncle Raymond & Auntie Saroj's place, and then, spent some time at Auntie Joan's. I took a bunch of pictures of old photographs (see below). It gives you pause, when you see how young and good looking everybody was. My advice: take lots of pictures now! You can see all of today's pictures here. And check out these pics from back in the day: Auntie Joan and Mamma, when they were both young, and a picture of Mamma as a young child with her brother David, her Mum and Auntie May (I think), and a woman I don't know in between...

young auntie joan and mumyoung josie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's Aunty Syl

Bob @ Barkz said...

Wow, you can really see the family resemblance!