Saturday, June 9, 2007

Simple Living and the Now

The other day I came across this website on simple living. As my opportunities to become rich dwindle, and as my interest in and commitment to non-violence deepens, I find I am becoming increasingly interested in living simply.

Why doesn't everyone live simply? Part of the reason is fear. The fear of lack leads to greed, and the pursuit of material goods, often at the expense of morality, community, and the environment. Is there a way to trust that your needs will get met in the future? Is there a way to be more present, and by so doing, bring compassion and wisdom into everyday life?

E. Tolle suggests that if you are in the now, then you can relax, and just be. Then, whatever action arises out of your response to the now, can come from the core of your beingness. This right action can come from a place of acceptance of 'what is', and a willingness to work with 'what is.' Similarly, there is a Buddhist saying: "There is nowhere to go, there is nothing to do, and there is no one to be." This doesn't mean that we are to be complacent, instead, it means that acceptance, and a spontaneous and compassionate reaction to 'what is,' is sufficient. Another Buddhist technique is to ask yourself "Right now, what is lacking?" By constantly asking this question, you begin to discover that the present is always manageable. Relax. There is no need to worry so much about the future. And there is no need to fret about the past. Just be here now.

1 comment:

br said...

Great thoughts. My favorite thought goes something like this "I am a very rich man, I already have everything I'll ever need". This helps put my wants in a different light allows me to live simply.